Eating or drinking caustic substances can result in injury to your child's mouth, throat, oesophagus or stomach. Caustic substances cause a burn type injury to these structures. Every substance is different and can cause injury to different areas. If you suspect your child has ingested a caustic substance it is important to seek urgent medical attention.
Management for caustic ingestion includes an initial endoscopy to assess the damage caused. Thereafter management depends on the degree and site of injury and may include medications and/or surgery.