Children are very inquisitive and often put strange objects into their mouths. Unfortunately, this means that it is also common for them to swallow these objects. Common examples of swallowed objects include: coins, batteries, buttons and small toys.
If you suspect your child has swallowed an object it is important to consult your doctor as it may cause damage to your child's digestive tract, particularly their oesophagus. The most dangerous of all objects are button batteries and magnets, children should never be allowed to play with these objects and should you suspect your child has swallowed these, it is important to consult a doctor immediately.
Usually an X-ray will be done to determine where the object is lodged, however some objects don't show up well on X-rays. Treatment depends on your child's symptoms, where the object is lodged and what type of object is swallowed. Some objects are not expected to cause damage and are likely to pass through your child's digestive system without issue. Others will be removed with an endoscope camera through your child's mouth under general anaesthetic. In rare cases surgery is required and this may be carried out laparoscopically (key-hole) or with open surgery.